Nurse Practitioner – Cardiothoracic Surgery
- New York, New York, United States
- Job category: Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Post date:20 Oct 2017
- Share job:
In collaboration with an attending physician, is responsible for the coordination and direct care of patients within specialty area(s) and clinical protocols as needed This role is also responsible for providing patient education.
- Coordinates multidisciplinary health care services and arranges diagnostic tests as ordered by physicians. Performs inpatient diagnostic testing, therapeutic, and interventional procedures as needed.
- Maintains inventory of supplies, equipment and/or reagents. May order supplies/equipment/reagents as authorized or ensure that needs are escalated appropriately. Receives supply orders and confirms accuracy of delivery. May assist with cost control.
- As needed, administers appropriate injections and medications as ordered by medical providers in compliance with state law and clinic guidelines. Educates patients and staff on pharmacological/drug effects and protocol requirements, if applicable.
- Attends workshops, seminars and/or conferences to keep abreast of standards and best practices within the field. Disseminates information to colleagues and/or staff as appropriate.
- Triages patient inquiries and communicates test results.
- Answers phones, responds to inquiries and triages calls to appropriate personnel.
- May be responsible for the precertification and preauthorization of prescriptions and for calling in prescription refills.
- Establishes priorities for nursing care through patient assessment and develops nursing care plans. Prepares equipment and assists provider during examination, testing, and treatment of patients as needed.
- Records medical information within the patients electronic medical record as instructed by the physician.
- Participates in safety programs and orientation of new staff. Assists in reviewing and revising policies and procedures.
- Responsible for patient care on an inpatient and/or outpatient service.
- If applicable, manages the care of selected patients using protocols agreed upon by medical/nursing personnel. Prescribes and adjusts medications. Makes judgments about the use of pharmaceutical agents as standard treatments in diagnosed conditions.
- If applicable, for surgical procedures, responsible for gathering, completing and delivering all pre-operative requirements required for surgery. Reviews discharge summaries and operative notes for accuracy.
- If applicable, assesses patient eligibility and reviews patient medical history for inclusion in clinical studies.
- If applicable, reviews and completes protocol history sheets, flow sheets, study follow-up reports and patient evaluation forms. Prepares and amends IRB protocols, consent forms and research documents.
- May be required to reach out to referring physicians and promote new referrals.
- Ensures infection control compliance within the practice and quality assurance in all aspects of patient care as mandated by institutional, local, state and federal regulatory agency requirements.
Masters of Science Degree in Nursing
Approximately 2 or more years of clinical experience as an NP in a physician practice or hospital setting, within a related specialty.
New NP graduates with related RN experience in Cardiology or CT Surgery may be considered.
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
Licenses and Certifications
NYS Registered Nurse Practitioner (NP) license and current NP registration
NYS Registered Professional Nurse license and current RN registration
Applicable National Board Certification (such as ANCC, PNCB, etc)
Current BLS (must be issued by American Heart Association)
Infection Control Certificate
Current Narcotics DEA registration certificate
How to ApplyApply Onlinehttps://career4.successfactors.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareerpvt?jobId=1921&company=C0000274692P&username=&st=1743D4E243BA37B3EF9CFC12A5978FD9FD8A79AB
Apply for this Job
- No Tags