Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
- Job category: Psychiatric
- Post date:26 Jan 2018
- Share job:
Founded in 1889, Family Service Agency of San Francisco is the oldest nonsectarian, nonprofit charitable social-services provider in the City and County of San Francisco. FSA’s mission is to respond to human needs with cutting edge social services and treatment that combine the best social science research with cultural sensitivity, a deep respect for the consumer, and a commitment to social justice and supportive communities.
With 34 programs in 11 languages at sites throughout the area, our comprehensive array of services reaches across all racial, ethnic, cultural, and linguistic lines. More than 70% of our clients have annual incomes below the poverty level, about 65% of the clients are of ethnic or racial minorities. Our programs have been recognized as national models and have received the highest possible ratings from San Francisco’s Department of Public Health. At the heart of our work is the belief that individuals and families in crisis must have access to services and resources to help them build on their inherent strengths and develop self-sufficiency.
Our Geriatric Mental Health Services specializes in a full continuum of geriatric mental health outpatient programs, serving older adults 55 years and older, with severe mental health or co-occurring disorders, under contract with Behavioral Health Services, as part of SF Department of Public Health. Programs include the highest intensity of work in our Older Adult Full Service Partnership, our Geriatric Outpatient Service clinics, and our Group Therapy and Drop In Center programs. We embrace the Recovery Model and working as teams, with Med Support Staff, Clinical Case Managers, and Community Specialists/Peers. The Senior Division also provides a range of Aging Services under programs with workforce development, economic security, case management, and advocacy, including addressing social isolation and the digital divide. The Division is very active in San Francisco with city and community partners for the development of new service areas and policy recommendations, and has begun offering specialized older adult mental health services in Alameda County.
The nurse practitioner exercises medical responsibilities for psychiatric evaluation, medication assessment and medication monitoring. The NP assists with crises interventions, including 5150 evaluations, as needed; orders diagnostic tests; and communicates medical issues with Primary Health Care provider. The NP maintains client caseload and clinical records in accordance with mandated standards, consults and provides on-going education to non-medical staff in psychopharmacology and medical aspects of patient care. This innovative program operates as a multidisciplinary team, and the NP works collaboratively with master’s level social workers and therapists, as well as community specialists/peers with lived experience. Additional duties can be assigned as needed.
Program Specific Responsibilities
- Exercises medical responsibilities for psychiatric evaluation, medication assessment, and medication monitoring
- Orders diagnostic tests as needed
- Works with an interdisciplinary team that includes a clinical case manager, other nurse practitioners, psychiatrists, community specialists (peer support staff), and other allied health professionals in the community.
- Works in collaboration with the clinical team to provide therapy and education to clients, including but not limited to harm reduction, relapse prevention, and motivational interviewing
- Works in collaboration with the clinical team to make appropriate referrals and linkages to other services in support of clients.
- Coordinates medical issues with Primary Health Care provider
- Maintains client caseload, as needed
- Maintains clinical records in accordance with mandated standards
- Consults and provides on-going education to non-medical staff in psychopharmacology and medical aspects of patient care
- Completion of training in an accredited Nurse Practitioner Program
- Active Nurse Practitioner license from the California Board of Registered Nursing, or ability to obtain one with three months of employment
- Active Nurse Practitioner Furnishing Number, or ability to obtain one within six months of employment
- Bilingual/Bicultural in Cantonese, Mandarin, or Spanish is a plus
- Experience in working with geriatric population
- Demonstrated commitment to the welfare of individuals and families with mental/behavioral health issues
- Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance
- Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases and psychosis. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions and preventative healthcare measures
- Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders
- Complex problem solving; identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- Critical thinking skills; using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Social perceptiveness skills; being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Service orientation skills; actively looking for ways to help people
- Demonstrated interest in ongoing learning and training
- Ability to be a team player with a welcoming attitude
- Valid California Driver’s license and car
Position: Part-time or Full-time Position
Reports to: Geriatric Mental Health Director and Senior Division Lead Psychiatrist
SEND RESUMES TO:
Geriatric Mental Health Director
How to ApplyPlease apply to our website belowhttps://workforcenow.adp.com/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=9c300a41-fe2e-4662-a78c-2024acc13fa0&sid=ZnNhc2Y%3D&jobId=148290&lang=en_US&source=CC3 or send your resume toEd Fowler @felton.orgcc: firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for this Job
- No Tags